But do we all know what a metaverse is?
A metaverse is an environment where humans interact socially and economically as avatars in a cyberspace, which acts as a metaphor for the real world, but without its physical or economic limitations.
The metaverse is a virtual ecosystem announced by Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook (now Meta), and which aims to become the evolution of the Internet.
In other words, it is a 100% digital world that will be accessed through a virtual reality device.
This is what we know about the Metaverse:
- Immersive experience: this digital world will be designed to make you feel that you are “physically” inside it.
- You can be whoever you want: to move through the metaverse you will have an avatar (some sort of “digital body”) that you will be able to configure with the look you like the most.
- The boundaries between the physical and the digital are blurred: although this is not confirmed, it is very likely that there will be a link between the real world and the virtual one.
- Possible own currency: the metaverse may have its own cryptocurrency for purchases made in it.
According to all this, ecommerce in the metaverse is completely viable, let’s see how it can be combined and take advantage of it:
- Virtual reality testers: If your avatar in the metaverse is a recreation of your 3D body, you could try on a product in virtual reality.
- 360° shopping experience: an entire store in the virtual world, where avatars are allowed to walk through the aisles and see the products.
Future of Ecommerce in the Metaverse
Ecommerce has only taken its first steps in the metaverse, with some pioneering brands that are carrying out their projects to position themselves as one of the leading companies in their sector and measure what works best in the metaverse. But the main innovations will come gradually over the next few years, as most users do not yet have the technology to be able to connect to a truly immersive metaverse using, for example, virtual reality headsets.
In addition, many companies are still developing this technology. There is also a need for more people trained in this area, to help companies with its implementation.
Leave us your comment and tell us what you think about the metaverse, would you buy there?